Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons salt or salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1. Pat chicken pieces dry. In a small bowl, mix spice rub ingredients; reserve 1 tablespoon spice rub for sauce. Rub remaining spice rub on all sides of chicken.
- 2. Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes, skin side down. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients; stir in reserved spice rub. Turn chicken; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
7 ounces cooked chicken (calculated without Liquid Smoke): 471 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 2062mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken
"Very moist and great BBQ sauceIt can be prepared in the oven by baking with alittle sauce and then adding remainder of sauce by broiLing it til crispy!!"
"This is a good rub for chicken. I cut way back on the salt because I always brine my chicken/turkey before grilling. I used my own sauce because it took me 25 yrs to get it just right. lol I might suggest putting a small handful of Applewood chips in your portable smoker box to add just a hint of smoky flavor. If you do you will need to grill with the grill cover on and the vents wide open."
"I don't have a grill, but this sounds delicious. Has anyone ever made this in the oven, and if so, how did you prepare it?"
"Pretty good, nice blend of spices and BBQ sauce. I will make it again. :-)"
"I used to make chicken like this when I was younger. Omitted the liquid smoke. It was wonderful !"
"An added advantage of this BBQ sauce is that you don't have to marinate the chicken ahead of time. When in a rush or if you decide to grill at the last minute, that's a plus."
"I accidentally left out the brown sugar and it was STILL delicious! Can't wait to try it with!"
"This is also very good done in a Dutch Oven"
"Very good and easy"
"I have been meaning to try this for ages, and wish I hadn't waited so long. It is very good."
"This was excellent! We made it on our first grilling experience of the summer. It was easy to fix and turned out great!"