Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons salt or salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Pat chicken pieces dry. In a small bowl, mix spice rub ingredients; reserve 1 tablespoon spice rub for sauce. Rub remaining spice rub on all sides of chicken.
- Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes, skin side down. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients; stir in reserved spice rub. Turn chicken; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken
Sort By :
I used to make chicken like this when I was younger. Omitted the liquid smoke. It was wonderful !
An added advantage of this BBQ sauce is that you don't have to marinate the chicken ahead of time. When in a rush or if you decide to grill at the last minute, that's a plus.
I accidentally left out the brown sugar and it was STILL delicious! Can't wait to try it with!
This is also very good done in a Dutch Oven
This was delicious! I used a family pack of bone-in chicken breasts with the skin off, with the weight equaling the same as the two fryer chickens. They worked very well. I just love the extra flavor the seasoning rub adds to an already delicious sauce. I did omit the turmeric since mine was pretty old and we don't care for it anyway. Followed everything else exactly. The chicken was very tasty! I served it with homeade macaroni salad and King Hawaiian rolls. I will definitely make this again soon. Thanks!