Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons salt or salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Pat chicken pieces dry. In a small bowl, mix spice rub ingredients; reserve 1 tablespoon spice rub for sauce. Rub remaining spice rub on all sides of chicken.
- Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes, skin side down. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients; stir in reserved spice rub. Turn chicken; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken
Sort By :
"I used to make chicken like this when I was younger. Omitted the liquid smoke. It was wonderful !"
"An added advantage of this BBQ sauce is that you don't have to marinate the chicken ahead of time. When in a rush or if you decide to grill at the last minute, that's a plus."
"I accidentally left out the brown sugar and it was STILL delicious! Can't wait to try it with!"
"This is also very good done in a Dutch Oven"
"This was delicious! I used a family pack of bone-in chicken breasts with the skin off, with the weight equaling the same as the two fryer chickens. They worked very well. I just love the extra flavor the seasoning rub adds to an already delicious sauce. I did omit the turmeric since mine was pretty old and we don't care for it anyway. Followed everything else exactly. The chicken was very tasty! I served it with homeade macaroni salad and King Hawaiian rolls. I will definitely make this again soon. Thanks!"