- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons salt or salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Pat chicken pieces dry. In a small bowl, mix spice rub ingredients; reserve 1 tablespoon spice rub for sauce. Rub remaining spice rub on all sides of chicken.
- Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes, skin side down. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients; stir in reserved spice rub. Turn chicken; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Barbecued Chicken
"Pretty good, nice blend of spices and BBQ sauce. I will make it again. :-)"
"I used to make chicken like this when I was younger. Omitted the liquid smoke. It was wonderful !"
"I accidentally left out the brown sugar and it was STILL delicious! Can't wait to try it with!"
"This is also very good done in a Dutch Oven"
"Very good and easy"
"I have been meaning to try this for ages, and wish I hadn't waited so long. It is very good."
"This was excellent! We made it on our first grilling experience of the summer. It was easy to fix and turned out great!"