Contest Winning Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
The great thing about this recipe—especially for non-cabbage lovers!—is that you can't taste the cabbage in the meat. Yet, at the same time, it adds a nice heartiness and moistness to it.
I credit my mother for my love for cooking. My grandmother, too...I remember how she made barbecued beef on weekends when grandkids visited.
Home for my husband, our daughter (she's 12) and me
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 10 hamburger or other sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beef and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Drain
- cooking liquid, reserving 3/4 cup.
- Cool beef; shred and return to the Dutch oven. Add the cabbage,
- barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, mustard
- and reserved cooking liquid. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve warm
- in buns. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 290 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 637 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.