Contest Winning Barbecued Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 10 hamburger or other sandwich buns, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the beef and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Drain cooking liquid, reserving 3/4 cup.
- 2. Cool beef; shred and return to the Dutch oven. Add the cabbage, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, mustard and reserved cooking liquid. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve warm in buns. Yield: 10 servings.
1 each: 290 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 637mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Contest Winning Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
"Great flavor. The sauce doesn't overwhelm the beef, and you don't really taste the cabbage. Very easy too. I cooked it in my crock pot since I didn't want to heat up my kitchen. It took about four hours to cook the beef on high and then another couple hours after putting in the sauce and cabbage. Will definitely make again."
"Thanks for sharing this recipe. We've had a bulk of stew meat in the freezer and I've been wanting to make something other than your basic stew with it. I used your cooking method then once the meat was pulled apart I tossed it with a pepper plant brown sugar sauce I had left over from wings the other night. Perfect for sandwiches, burrito, taco...you name it!"
"A little high in sodium, but overall great flavor."