- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 10 hamburger or other sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beef and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Drain cooking liquid, reserving 3/4 cup.
- Cool beef; shred and return to the Dutch oven. Add the cabbage, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, mustard and reserved cooking liquid. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve warm in buns. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Contest Winning Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Sort By :
"Thanks for sharing this recipe. We've had a bulk of stew meat in the freezer and I've been wanting to make something other than your basic stew with it. I used your cooking method then once the meat was pulled apart I tossed it with a pepper plant brown sugar sauce I had left over from wings the other night. Perfect for sandwiches, burrito, taco...you name it!"
"A little high in sodium, but overall great flavor."