Contest Winning Barbecued Beef Sandwiches Recipe
The great thing about this recipeespecially for non-cabbage lovers!is that you can't taste the cabbage in the meat. Yet, at the same time, it adds a nice heartiness and moistness to it. I credit my mother for my love for cooking. My grandmother, too...I remember how she made barbecued beef on weekends when grandkids visited. Home for my husband, our daughter (she's 12) and me is a small village on the banks of the Mississippi River.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 10 hamburger or other sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beef and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Drain cooking liquid, reserving 3/4 cup.
- Cool beef; shred and return to the Dutch oven. Add the cabbage, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, mustard and reserved cooking liquid. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve warm in buns. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Beef Sandwiches in Country Woman September/October 1994, p31
Reviews for Contest Winning Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2013
A little high in sodium, but overall great flavor.