Contest-Winning Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Whipped topping and additional banana slices, optional
- Place butter in a greased 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate. Heat, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until melted. Stir in crumbs and sugar until combined.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of plate. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until crust is firm and holds together. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir a small amount of hot liquid into egg yolks. Gradually return to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cook 30-60 seconds longer or until bubbly, stirring every 15 seconds. Stir in the butter, vanilla and salt until butter is melted. Cool for 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Arrange bananas in crust. Top with filling. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Top with whipped topping and additional bananas if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Banana Cream Pie
Sort By :
"Going to make this"
"Quick, easy to make and tastes so good! Thank you for this great recipe! The second time I made this I added some sliced toasted almonds to the top just for an added texture and both ways taste good!"
"Very easy! Everyone in my family loved it. Next time I will make more"
"I have been making this pie for 27 years, and it has never not set. Maybe the flour or cornstarch was the problem. A few tips I have, are to add 1 cup flaked coconut to the filling instead of the bananas for a coconut cream pie. The original recipe only calls for 3 hrs or more to set, not 8 hrs. or overnight. I usually make it in the morning and have it for supper. I also use a store bought graham cracker crust to really cut down on the time it takes to make this pie. It's great if you want to make this the old fashioned way, but the recipe is for a microwave pie that is fast & easy, and tastes great."
"I have been looking for a homemade banana cream pie recipe that doesn't use banana pudding mix. I made this for my husbands birthday party and it was a big hit with everyone. So very easy to make! I will definately make this again!! Love it!!"