This recipe was given to me nearly 50 years ago, at a company picnic, and it's our family's favorite dessert. Now my grandchildren bake it for their families. When each of our three sons got serious about a girl, sure enough, I'd get a call from a young lady requesting "his favorite dish". I always gave the girls this recipe.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a saucepan, melt shortening over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar.
- Cool slightly. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add gradually
- with eggs to shortening mixture. Stir in the vanilla, chips and nuts
- (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares while warm. Yield:
- about 48 bars.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 144 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.