Congo Squares Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1. In a saucepan, melt shortening over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Cool slightly. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add gradually with eggs to shortening mixture. Stir in the vanilla, chips and nuts (batter will be very stiff).
- 2. Spread into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares while warm. Yield: about 48 bars.
1 serving (1 each) equals 144 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Congo Squares
"I forget the nuts and add 1 cup white chocolate chips"
"Aren't those good? When we were kids, one of our neighbors used to make these and my DB loved them. I have made them a few times."