Conga Lime Pork Recipe
Nobody steps out of line when pork roast slow-cooked in chipotle and molasses moves to the table. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 6 prepared corn muffins, halved
- 1. Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over roast. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add water, chipotle peppers and molasses, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, mango, lime juice, lime peel and remaining salt and pepper.
- 4. Place muffin halves cut side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Serve pork with muffins; top with slaw. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup pork mixture with 1 muffin and 1/2 cup slaw equals 514 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 877 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC