From Canton, Ohio, Carole Magee shares this economical one-dish wonder. "My husband and I came up with this hearty meal when we were on a tight budget," she writes, "It's still one of our favorites today. I even double it for potlucks."
Recommended: 29 Healthy Winter Skillet Meals
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- In a large skillet, brown sausage in butter; remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, peppers and celery until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Return the sausage to the pan; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Confetti Sausage 'N' Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p19
Reviews for Confetti Sausage 'N' Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review