From Canton, Ohio, Carole Magee shares this economical one-dish wonder. "My husband and I came up with this hearty meal when we were on a tight budget," she writes, "It's still one of our favorites today. I even double it for potlucks."
Featured In: 29 Healthy Winter Skillet Meals
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- In a large skillet, brown sausage in butter; remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, peppers and celery until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Return the sausage to the pan; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Confetti Sausage 'N' Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p19
Reviews for Confetti Sausage 'N' Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 31, 2013
"Very good, very easy, and very pretty!"