This is a very good low-fat recipe. Diced sweet red and green pepper--along with green peas and fresh parsley--add bright color to the simple rice dish. --Dorothy Bayes of Sardis, Ohio
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Stir in peppers. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in peas. Cover and let stand for about 5
- minutes or until heated through and liquid is absorbed. Stir in
- parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 144 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.