Confetti Fiesta Braids Recipe
“This bread is based on the winning recipe in a local contest I judged. I turned it into a double braid and added more peppers. It’s not difficult and is well worth the effort. Plus, it smells glorious when baking!”—Fancheon Resler Bluffton, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:40 servings
- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red, yellow and/or orange peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk, butter and onion to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in the cheese, corn and peppers. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Divide half of dough into two portions so that one portion is twice the size of the other; shape larger portion into three 16-in. ropes. Place on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.
- 4. Shape smaller portion into three 10-in. ropes. Braid on a lightly floured surface; tuck ends under. Brush bottom of braid with water and place over larger braid. Cover loaf and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (20 slices each).
1 slice equals 134 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC