Confetti Fiesta Braids Recipe
- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red, yellow and/or orange peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk, butter and onion to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in the cheese, corn and peppers. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Divide half of dough into two portions so that one portion is twice the size of the other; shape larger portion into three 16-in. ropes. Place on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.
- Shape smaller portion into three 10-in. ropes. Braid on a lightly floured surface; tuck ends under. Brush bottom of braid with water and place over larger braid. Cover loaf and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 loaves (20 slices each).
Reviews for Confetti Fiesta Braids
Sort By :
I made this today. I had to use a little extra flour, probably due to the red bell peppers. I made it into loafs, getting 3 loafs of bread. I thought it was to die for and gave some to 3 friends who all felt it was moist and great. One stated I have to order
Taste of Home a gain. A true winner.
I made this and it was a huge hit.
This is sure a bread we want again and my neighbor wants one for Easter.
I used 1/2 cup of each red, yellow and orange pepper, in addition to the 1/4 cup of jalaepeno pepper. The bread was fabulous. Next time I will not brush as much water under the bottom top layer. It had a tendency to want to slide off center.
amazing bread. sent a loaf to my son in the military and he also thought it was amazing. seems to be a cross between corn bread and reg bread. very dense and delicious
This bread is awesome right out of the oven. I loved all all of the ingredients melded together. Will definitely have to make this one again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Bread Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >