"Couscous prepared this way makes a fun and colorful side dish alongside chicken, pork or fish," notes Marla Stewart of Amity, Arkansas. "I've even stirred in pineapple chunks and cooked chicken for a great lunch.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) couscous
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, water, lemon juice, peel and
- salt to a boil. Stir in couscous and peas. Cover; remove from the
- heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in almonds and pimientos.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 294 calories, 6 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat.