Confetti Cornmeal Muffins Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- CILANTRO BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in 2 tablespoons butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Melt the remaining butter. Whisk in the eggs and milk until combined. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pepper mixture and cheese.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine spread ingredients. Cool muffins for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm with butter. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin with 2 teaspoons cilantro butter: 339 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Confetti Cornmeal Muffins
"Good taste, but a little too dense for my liking. Unfortunately my green pepper was bad so I only used red pepper and onion, but the taste was still delicious. These sit heavy."