Confetti Chowder Recipe
Grandma's philosophy was, "Add a little color to your food, and folks will eat up a storm!" This delightful golden chowder was one of her favorite recipes, and the broccoli, carrots and zucchini in it add flavor as well as color. Grandma served mugs of steaming chowder to warm us as we sat cross-legged before the crackling fireplace in her kitchen.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimiento, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, zucchini, broccoli, onion and celery; cook and stir for about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle flour, salt, pepper and sugar over vegetables; mix well.
- 2. Stir in milk and chicken broth; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add corn, ham, peas and pimiento; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 237 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC