- butter. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Gradually beat in milk and extracts. Gently fold in
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10
- minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool
- For buttercream, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg
- whites, brown sugar and salt until blended. Place over simmering
- water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly,
- heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With whisk attachment of stand mixer, beat on high
- speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Gradually beat in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, on medium
- speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and enough food coloring to
- achieve desired color.
- Immediately spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of
- cake. Decorate with sprinkles. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16
Editor’s Note: The cake shown was prepared with Eillien’s Rainbow Decorettes in the cake batter. If this product is not available in your area, look for other non-chocolate rainbow jimmies.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 436 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.