Confetti Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup rainbow jimmies
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- Confetti sprinkles
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat in butter. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in milk and extracts. Gently fold in jimmies.
- 3. Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- 4. For buttercream, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, brown sugar and salt until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- 5. Remove from heat. With whisk attachment of stand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- 6. Gradually beat in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and enough food coloring to achieve desired color.
- 7. Immediately spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Decorate with sprinkles. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 436 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.