This simple and tender cake has been celebrated in my family for years. Dressed up with tinted frosting and confetti, it becomes pure party fun. — Karen Berner, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup rainbow jimmies
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- Confetti sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat in butter. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in milk and extracts. Gently fold in jimmies.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For buttercream, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, brown sugar and salt until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With whisk attachment of stand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Gradually beat in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and enough food coloring to achieve desired color.
- Immediately spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Decorate with sprinkles. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Confetti Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream in Taste of Home April/May 2014
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Confetti Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review