Confetti Bean Soup Mix Recipe
With its colorful variety of beans and delicious flavor, this soup is tempting. I like to give it to friends each Christmas.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 25 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 1 pound each dried navy beans, great northern beans, red kidney beans, pinto beans and green split peas
- SEASONING MIX:
- 12 beef bouillon cubes
- 3/4 cup dried minced chives
- 4 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP:
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine beans and peas; place 3 cups each in four large resealable plastic bags. Set aside.
- 2. In four snack-size resealable plastic bags place 3 bouillon cubes, 3 tablespoons chives, 1 teaspoon savory, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 bay leaf. Seal bags or tie plastic wrap with ribbon if desired. Yield: 4 batches.
- 3. To prepare soup: Place the contents of one bag of beans in a Dutch oven; add 7 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 4. Drain beans and discard liquid. Add remaining water and contents of one seasoning bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper sauce if desired. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts) per batch.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 230 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 477 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC