Confetti Bean Chili
A medley of vegetables and beans adds color and appeal to this recipe from field editor Kathleen Drott of Pineville, Louisiana.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups water
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, simmer onion in broth for 5 minutes.
- Add next six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover;
- simmer 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cover; simmer 20
- minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced sodium broth and fresh tomatoes) equals 178 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.