Confetti Barley Pilaf Recipe
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add barley; saute for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, carrot, cabbage, red pepper, basil and oregano. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Confetti Barley Pilaf
Sort By :
"Nice light supper...I didn't have cabbage but skipping it was fine. I would put less basil and oregano in the next time. I used 2 boullion cubes instead of broth....would use "less sodium "variety instead. I also had to add a little more water and let it cook down a little longer. But very tasty. You could probably also top it with Feta cheese when you serve it."