Coney Island Sauce
Put the ketchup aside! Shirley Heston of Pickerington, Ohio turns ground beef, chopped onion, tomato sauce and chili powder into a zippy topping ideal for hot dogs. Grill two packages of hot dogs at your next barbecue and save the extras for the following dishes.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown
- sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard and
- salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20
- minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Grill or cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place hot
- dogs in buns; top with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 571 calories, 40 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,636 mg sodium,