- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Grill or cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place hot dogs in buns; top with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forConey Island Sauce
"Very good! Made a quadruple batch for a meeting.....one batch doesn't make much at all!"
"I thought this tasted really good on my hot dog. I will keep this recipe and make it again."
"I made this for a baked potato buffet fundraiser, they licked the pot clean and asked for more! Just enough spice to keep everyone happy."
"I wondered about the celery, but this was the best hot dog chili I've eaten."