Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce
Put a spin on a stadium favorite with this hearty, chili-like topping featuring ground beef and a sweet-and-sassy sauce. The blend of flavors has mass appeal that makes it a winner for any large-group gathering.—Carole Bull, Traverse City, Michigan
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, relish,
- vinegar, chili powder, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes
- or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Yield: 1-1/4
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 48 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.