“My family loves this. We always have it during the holidays.” Packed with rich, savory flavor, this makes an ideal side dish. Michelle Davis - Elk Grove, California
Featured In: 33 Bright Winter Salads
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms; cook 2 minutes longer. Add the flour, garlic salt, parsley flakes and pepper. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in rice.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Company Wild Rice in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p28
Reviews for Company Wild Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review