Company Turkey Potpie Recipe
Do you enjoy serving friends and family comfort food? If so, you'll want to make this posh potpie, filled with turkey and an unusual assortment of autumn vegetables combined in a creamy herb sauce. Best of all, there's no crust to make--just top with prepared phyllo dough.
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fennel bulb
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in oil until tender. Add the squash, red pepper and fennel; saute 5 minutes longer. Add 1/4 cup broth. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add milk and remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the turkey, sherry or additional broth, sage, salt, thyme and pepper. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Stack all 10 phyllo sheets. Roll up, starting with a long side; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Place strips in a large bowl and toss to separate; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Arrange over turkey mixture; spritz again. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Company Turkey Potpie in Country Woman November/December 2006, p40
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Company Turkey Potpie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Baking Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >