Company's Coming Soup
This soup is great for entertaining because it can be assembled ahead and left to simmer. Plus, with fresh bread and salad. It's a hearty meal that won't leave anyone hungry.
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 1 pound 10-bean mix (about 2 cups)
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place beans and enough water to cover in a Dutch oven or soup kettle.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand
- for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to kettle; add the
- water, ham, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 60-70 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until
- onion is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 147 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,369 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 15 g protein.