Company's Coming Soup Recipe
This soup is great for entertaining because it can be assembled ahead and left to simmer. Plus, with fresh bread and salad. It's a hearty meal that won't leave anyone hungry.
- 1 pound 10-bean mix (about 2 cups)
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place beans and enough water to cover in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to kettle; add the water, ham, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until onion is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Company's Coming Soup in Country Pork 1996, p38
Reviews for Company's Coming Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2012
had to add a little sugar because it was too sour for my taste. would probably use less lemon juice next time.