Company's Coming Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, cook and stir the sugar over medium-low heat until melted. Stir in almonds; cook for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Spread onto foil coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed greens, romaine, oranges, celery and onions. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad; add almonds and toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 134 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Company's Coming Salad
"This was a terrific salad, my son ate a big bowl without complaining. the sugared almonds and oranges helped. i just used a regular orange without the membrane, rather than using canned mandarines. the dressing was a nice complement."
"This salad was exceptional, the flavour of the cider vinegar and canola oil blended well. I would definitely make it again. I added a few tiny tomatoes."