Company Rice Recipe
This colorful side dish is a proven favorite with family and friends. One of my late son’s friends always requested ‘that rice’ when he came over for dinner. It’s delicious served with grilled salmon, beef, turkey, lamb roast or ham. – Jayne Shiley, Campbellsport, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, carrot and onion in butter until tender. Stir in broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 2. Add long grain rice; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer. Stir in cherries; cook 5 minutes longer or until the liquid is absorbed. Just before serving, stir in pecans. Yield: 10 servings.
2/3 cup equals 238 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, /516 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC