The aroma of this roast slowly cooking in the oven is absolutely mouthwatering. It gives the home such a cozy feeling, even on the chilliest winter days. —Anita Osborne, Thomasburg, Ontario
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Brown roast in oil in a Dutch oven on all sides; drain. Combine the sherry, soy sauce, sugar, bouillon and cinnamon stick; pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding the carrots, potatoes and onion during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Company Pot Roast in Simple & Delicious February/March 2013, p9
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Company Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review