Company Onion Soup Recipe
The onions in this part of the country are superb, and this soup is proof. Try it and see if your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does. —Rose Marie Moore, Walla Walla, Washington
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large sweet or Walla Walla onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices French bread
- Additional unsalted butter
- Garlic salt or 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Sprinkle sugar over onions. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add 3 cups broth; simmer 15 minutes. Add remaining broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, spread both sides of the bread with additional butter; sprinkle with garlic salt or rub with the cut-side of garlic clove. Broil bread until golden brown, then turn and brown other side. Ladle soup into individual ovenproof soup bowls. Float a slice of bread in each bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 380 calories, 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,548 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Company Onion Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC