- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large sweet or Walla Walla onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices French bread
- Additional unsalted butter
- Garlic salt or 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Sprinkle sugar over onions. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add 3 cups broth; simmer 15 minutes. Add remaining broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread both sides of the bread with additional butter; sprinkle with garlic salt or rub with the cut-side of garlic clove. Broil bread until golden brown, then turn and brown other side. Ladle soup into individual ovenproof soup bowls. Float a slice of bread in each bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Company Onion Soup in Country February/March 1992, p47
Reviews for Company Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review