- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Company Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
"HOLY COW, this is amazing. I've tried countless macaroni and cheese recipes and this one is by far my favorite. My husband actually said "this is the best Mac and cheese I've EVER had." I really think that any negative reviews on this recipe are from people who didn't make it correctly. For one, with any recipe involving a roux (flour and butter) you must cook the roux (with a good boil!) while stirring constantly for at least two minutes, and then do the same thing again after adding the milk (for two minutes!). This eliminates any flour taste. Two, you want it to be really cheesy before baking it because it firms up in the oven so if it's more cheesy going in the oven then it will be the perfect consistency after baking.I followed the recipe exactly except I used about 10 oz of noodles, 1/4 cup more milk, and used country style Dijon mustard instead of the spicy. It was amazing!! Everyone asked for seconds."
"I'm really sorry to say it, but this recipe just ruined my night! My husband had been saying last night that he wanted homemade mac and cheese, so I found this recipe and made it exactly as directed and it turned out pretty bad. It was way too creamy/doughy. I think maybe the pasta amount should be doubled and I also think that the cream cheese amount should be cut at least in half. Way too much bread crumbs and the cooking time seemed too short. Of course this is just my opinion, but I have most definitely had much better. I should have just called my mother for her recipe. I asked my husband to be honest with me on how it was and he said that I should maybe try another recipe next time. lol"
"I just made this. Number 1 recipe on my search. It was so easy to make, I cant believe I didnt do it before this. I forgot the cream cheese when I went to the store and used sour cream instead. It was very good I wish I had used the whole 16oz box of macaroni as it was very cheesy. I had ritz crackers and used them as the topping, they were very good."
"This is an excellent mac and cheese recipe. Everyone I've made it for just loves it, including me!. I leave out the spicy mustard, though. True comfort food! Thanks for sharing."
"This was very good! If you want creaminess, this is the recipe. I made it according to directions except I added a medium chopped onion. (I doubled the recipe). The only thing I didn't care for was the spicy mustard. It gave it an odd taste, but my husband and daughter loved it. Other than the mustard, this is now my new mac n cheese recipe."