Company Green Salad Recipe
I partially put this salad together and take the remaining ingredients (candied nuts, seeds, rice noodles and dressing) to mix in at the potluck. Works perfectly every time. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (3 ounces) crispy rice noodles
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add almonds and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar and brown sugar. Chill until serving.
- 3. For salad, in a large bowl, combine the lettuce, peppers and green onions. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with rice noodles, sunflower kernels and almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup equals 162 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC