Company Chicken Madeira Recipe
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Madeira wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and coriander; rub over chicken. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In same skillet, saute leeks and chopped fennel in remaining butter 4-6 minutes or until just tender. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- 3. Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add wine and simmer 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and sprinkle with cheeses.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with fennel fronds. Yield: 6 servings.
Make Ahead:Assemble casserole up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven.
1 chicken breast with 1/3 cup sauce: 359 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 813mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.