Searching for an entree that's special enough for company, yet easy on the cook? Try this memorable make-ahead meal from Harriett McKay of Cathedral City, California. It features chunks of tender chicken, mushrooms and water chestnuts in a cheesy sauce.
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken. In a skillet, saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, place mushrooms over chicken. Combine water chestnuts and mayonnaise; spoon over mushrooms. Top with cheeses. Beat eggs and milk; pour over cheese. Combine soups; spread over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole; bake 10 minutes longer. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Company Chicken Casserole in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p43
Reviews for Company Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2012
"This casserole was easy and excellent. Made it for a family dinner party. Elegant but easy. Liked the refrigerate overnight part. I did add a splash of sherry to the soups."