- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. of canola oil
- 4 large caps of portabella mushrooms cleaned with a damp kitchen towel and each cut to 1/8 - 1/10
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 3 gloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. of fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. of red curry powder or red curry paste
- 8 oz. of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of fish sauce
- 2 lime leaves torn to pieces*
- 1 large granny smith apple cored and cut to 1/8
- For garnish:
- 1/4 c. of toasted peanuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. of tightly packed fresh basil torn to pieces
- 1/4 c. of tightly packed fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. of grape tomatoes cut 1/4
- 3 c. of cooked basmati rice
- 1. In a large sauce pan over moderately high heat put in 1/4 c. of oil. When oil shimmers put in portabella pieces. Sautee until lightly golden, about 3 - 4 min. Season with 1/4 tsp. of salt. Sautee for another min. Transfer mushrooms to a plate.
- 2. In same sauce pan put in 2 tbsp. of oil, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook for 1 min. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and lime leaves. Stir about 1 - 2 min. Put mushrooms back to sauce pan. Bring liquid to boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 min. Add apple and 1/4 tsp. of salt. Raise heat to medium and cook for 4 - 5 min. Remove pan from heat.
- 3. Pour portabella curry to a large serving bowl. Garnish with peanuts, basil, cilantro, and tomatoes.
- 4. To serve: spoon 3/4 c. of cooked rice on a plate. Ladle about 1 c. of portabella curry over rice. Repeat with remaining plates. Yield: serves 4
Reviews for Portabella Curry with Basmati Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2009
Preparation time: 20 min.
Cooking time: 23 - 25 min.