- 1/2 lbs. Portabella mushrooms, gills removed and sliced
- 1/2 lbs. white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 4 TBS butter
- 2 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 TBS Creole seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce, optional
- 3 TBS chopped parsley
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Recipe Creole Seasoning:
- 5 tsp smoked paprika (or paprika)
- 1 tsp dried leaf oregano
- 1 tsp dried leaf thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat cook mushrooms in olive oil until dry and browned.
- Remove to covered plate and hold.
- Add butter to skillet, melt, add garlic and cook 30 seconds, add onion, cook 1 1/2 min., add celery, cook 1 1/2 min., add grn. pepper cook, 1 1/2 min..
- Reduce heat to medium, add flour cook stirring constantly 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 the stock to form a thick paste, gradualy add remainder of stock, stir till smooth.
- Add tomatoes, 2 TBS Creole seasoning, thyme, Worcestershire, mushrooms and optional hot sauce, simmer on low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionaly.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve hot over rice. Yield: serves 4
Reviews for Mushroom Etouffee
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review