Dutch Almond Banket Recipe
My husband comes from Dutch heritage and this is a very traditional pastry served at Christmas. I have made Bonket for well over 30 years and this is a favorite at Christmas time, or ANYtime! One of the best things about this recipe is that you can make up several rolls, freeze, and bake out as needed. They're best when freshly baked and they make the whole house smell wonderful!
- This recipe makes 8 rolls.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 sticks margarine
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 pound almond or kernel paste, warmed about 1 minute in microwave
- 3 eggs (reserve one of the whites in separate bowl for later)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup flour
- Mix flour and baking powder together. Cut in margarine thoroughly with pastry blender. Add water and stir with fork. Pour out of bowl and work dough together with hands to make a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Almond Filling:
- Cut almond paste into sugar with pastry blender. Mix in eggs, lemon extract and flour with electric mixer until blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to roll.
- Assembling Banket:
- (This sounds like more work than it really is!)
- Cut chilled crust dough into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball on floured countertop to about 15”x8”. Trim edges to make straight and then cut in half lengthwise. Divide filling into eight equal pieces. Roll 2 of the filling pieces in long, thick pencil shaped pieces and place on crust strips. Roll crust around filling on each strip and seal. Place on large greased cookie sheet. Do the same with all dough and filling until you have 8 banket rolls (4 can go on each cookie sheet). Brush tops of rolls with slightly beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake ½ hour at 350 degrees, or until just barely tan. Wrapped sticks will freeze well baked or unbaked! Yield: serves 32
Reviews for Dutch Almond Banket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review