Chocolate Jumbos Recipe
I don't know where this recipe came from but it has been a long time family tradition, I am the 4th generation that we know of making these cookies. I am from upstate NY and no one outside of the area has heard of these cookies but everyone always loves them.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup melted shortening
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 cups of flour
- Butter Cream Frosting (recipe below)
- 1 pound 10x Confectioners Sugar (3 ¾ cups)
- ¼ pound (1/2 cup) soft butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl mix together the brown sugar and eggs. In a separate bowl combine the melted shortening and cocoa, then add to the brown sugar mixture. Add the molasses, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt to the large bowl. Mix well. In a separate bowl combine the boiling water and baking soda, then add to the rest of the ingredients, mix well. Add in the flour a few cups at a time. Dough will be very thick, let stand in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place a small amount of flour on the counter, take a small chunk of the dough and roll it out to about ¼ inch thickness. A round cookie cutter with a hole in the center works best (cookies cook more evenly), or a round cookie cutter is fine. You can reincorporate the holes back into the dough or you can bake them as is and have a nice bite size treat.
- Place on a cookie sheet ½ inch apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Once cookies have cooled put the butter cream frosting on them.
- Cream one-third of sugar with butter and salt in large bowl. Blend extract, 2 tablespoons milk and remaining sugar into mixture. Gradually stir remaining milk into frosting until desired spreading consistency is reached Yield: serves 84
Reviews for Chocolate Jumbos(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review