Comforting Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 pouch (2-1/2 ounces) albacore white tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 slices Muenster cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 5 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cream cheese, tuna, pimientos and chives. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain noodles. Spread 1/4 cup tuna mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the noodles, 1/2 cup tuna mixture and one slice of cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter; stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Comforting Tuna Casserole(12)
Sort By :
I doubled the recipe, but had to add 2 cups of liquid to the roux to make it a sauce. Wonder if a "1" was forgotten before the "3/4 cup" of milk? Added peas and mushrooms, definitely used the chives and roasted pimentos. Anything to add some more flavor to a cassarole is good!
This was a Friday night staple for many years when my kids were growing up. Pimentos were a luxury so were left out but I added a can of peas just before baking. Ritz crackers were a treat but made it sooooo good.
It is really good with Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs.
needs to bring salt before comes on my table regularly.
Will make it
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Fish >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >