Comforting Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 pouch (2-1/2 ounces) albacore white tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 slices Muenster cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 5 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cream cheese, tuna, pimientos and chives. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 2. Drain noodles. Spread 1/4 cup tuna mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the noodles, 1/2 cup tuna mixture and one slice of cheese. Repeat layers.
- 3. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter; stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-fat cream cheese) equals 493 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 941 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Comforting Tuna Casserole
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.