- 1-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 pouch (2-1/2 ounces) albacore white tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 slices Muenster cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 5 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cream cheese, tuna, pimientos and chives. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain noodles. Spread 1/4 cup tuna mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the noodles, 1/2 cup tuna mixture and one slice of cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter; stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Comforting Tuna Casserole
Sort By :
"This is a very tasty old fashion tuna recipe. I agree it needs more salt. I also added a little parmesan cheese to the sauce. Instead of bread crumbs I sprinkled a little grated cheddar cheese on top, after all I am from Wi. add cheese to everything. I definitely will make it again."
"I doubled the recipe, but had to add 2 cups of liquid to the roux to make it a sauce. Wonder if a "1" was forgotten before the "3/4 cup" of milk? Added peas and mushrooms, definitely used the chives and roasted pimentos. Anything to add some more flavor to a cassarole is good!"
"This was a Friday night staple for many years when my kids were growing up. Pimentos were a luxury so were left out but I added a can of peas just before baking. Ritz crackers were a treat but made it sooooo good."
"It is really good with Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs."
"needs to bring salt before comes on my table regularly."