Comforting Spoon Bread Recipe
Here's a comforting side dish that has saved quite a few ordinary meals at our house. To spice it up a bit for Christmas, I stir in a can of holly-green chopped chilies. It's as good for breakfast as it is at lunch or dinner.
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In another bowl, beat egg yolks; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal and salt. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the corn, butter and baking powder. Stir in egg yolks. Fold in egg whites.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or just until set. Serve immediately with a spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Corn Spoon Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p36
Reviews for Comforting Spoon Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review