This rich casserole from Sylvia McCrone of Danville, Illinois is ideal comfort food for your family on a chilly spring night. Round out the menu with a favorite steamed vegetable for a hearty meal.
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook noodles according to package directions, adding the peas, celery and carrot during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Stir in the chicken, corn, soup, 1 cup cheese, onion, green and red peppers and pepper. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Noodle Casserole in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p61
Reviews for Comforting Chicken Noodle Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review