Comforting Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1. In a soup kettle, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; dice and set aside. Strain broth and skim fat; discard onion, celery and bay leaf. Set aside 6 cups broth for sauce.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes, parsley and sage. Saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add to stuffing mixture and mix well; set aside.
- 4. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add reserved broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 5. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the chicken, stuffing and sauce. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 373 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Comforting Chicken Casserole
"Delicious! I made this exactly as written and served it with buttermilk biscuits and roasted asparagus."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.