Comforting Chicken 'N' Noodles Recipe
- 6 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine or additional chicken broth, optional
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in wine or additional broth if desired.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the noodles, 1 cup white sauce, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- 3. In a skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Stir in pepper and remaining salt. Spoon over noodle mixture. Top with chicken. Pour the remaining white sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Garnish with paprika.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 446 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 1,592 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.