A friend in Arizona gave me this recipe more than 25 years ago. It quickly became a family-favorite dish. One bite of this creamy casserole and you'll see why!
- 6 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine or additional chicken broth, optional
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in wine or additional broth if desired.
- In a bowl, combine the noodles, 1 cup white sauce, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Stir in pepper and remaining salt. Spoon over noodle mixture. Top with chicken. Pour the remaining white sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Garnish with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Comforting Chicken N Noodles in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p29
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Comforting Chicken 'N' Noodles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review