Comforting Beef Barley Soup
Senior Recipe Editor Sue Jurack shares her recipe for a delicious soup brimming with tasty and colorful ingredients. "It's so comforting on a crisp autumn day," she relates.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery and onion in butter until
- tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, water, beef, tomatoes,
- barley, salt, basil, oregano and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add
- the peas. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 199 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 1,004 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein.