Comforting Beef Barley Soup
When the weather outside is nippy, we want a bowl of soup that’s chock full of beef, barley and veggies. It's the most delicious way to warm up. —Sue Jurack, Mequon, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add carrot,
- celery and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, barley and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add
- roast beef and peas; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until heated
- through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 198 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber,