Comforting Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery and onion in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, water, beef, tomatoes, barley, salt, basil, oregano and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peas. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Comforting Beef Barley Soup(11)
Sort By :
I forgot the tomatoes but it was very good!
I made this and quadrupled the ingredients for a soup supper. Everyone wanted the recipe the next day. Very flavorful.
So Good! I used the Homemade Beef Broth recipe from this site, which made it even better.
Perfect! Filling, tasty, and healthy. That, my friends, is a soup trifecta.
More Recipe Collections
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >