- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute carrot, celery and onion until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, beef, tomatoes, barley and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peas; heat through, about 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Comforting Beef Barley Soup
"Absolutely delicious. Will make again. Easy and filling for a cold February day."
"Perhaps I'm just not a fan of beef soups. This recipe lacked flavor."
"was this salty tasting? I will use low sodium beef broth if so."
"This soup gets five stars and more! It is truly delicious and comforting. My husband, son and I all took a spoonful and said, "Mmmmmmum!" with every bite. I made it right by the recipe. We will have this one again and again."
"I forgot the tomatoes but it was very good!"
"I made this and quadrupled the ingredients for a soup supper. Everyone wanted the recipe the next day. Very flavorful."
"So Good! I used the Homemade Beef Broth recipe from this site, which made it even better."