- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, barley and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add roast beef and peas; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Comforting Beef Barley Soup
"Perhaps I'm just not a fan of beef soups. This recipe lacked flavor."
"was this salty tasting? I will use low sodium beef broth if so."
"This soup gets five stars and more! It is truly delicious and comforting. My husband, son and I all took a spoonful and said, "Mmmmmmum!" with every bite. I made it right by the recipe. We will have this one again and again."
"I forgot the tomatoes but it was very good!"
"I made this and quadrupled the ingredients for a soup supper. Everyone wanted the recipe the next day. Very flavorful."
"So Good! I used the Homemade Beef Broth recipe from this site, which made it even better."
"Perfect! Filling, tasty, and healthy. That, my friends, is a soup trifecta."
"I've had a difficult time finding beef soup recipes that taste flavorful to me. This recipe is very delicious and not complicated to make. I used 1/2 cup millet in place of the barley to make it gluten free and threw in some frozen green beans in addition to the other veggies. It is wonderful and I'm recommending this recipe to friends."