When the weather outside is nippy, we want a bowl of soup that’s chock full of beef, barley and veggies. It's the most delicious way to warm up. —Sue Jurack, Mequon, Wisconsin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, barley and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add roast beef and peas; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p61
Reviews for Comforting Beef Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review